30 Day Challenge, Day 15 (Halfway There)

The halfway mark!  I was going to celebrate by spending hours in the kitchen, cooking all sorts of wonderful experiments.  Unfortunately, when I woke up this morning, my tonsils felt like golf balls and it hurt to swallow.  I knew I had a fever even before I took my temperature (101 degrees), and everything ached.

After getting all three girls off to school, I crawled back under the covers.  When I woke up a couple hours later, I still felt awful, and I was afraid it might be strep.  So I called the doctor's office.  The nice lady said, "well, we have an opening at 9:45..."  I looked at the clock.  9:30.  "Okay," I said, "I'll pull my shoes on and leave right now."  Which is exactly what I did.  Kermit pajamas and all.  I know it's not dignified for a 42-year-old woman to go to a doctor appointment in her pj's, but... I make no apologies.  I did what I did, and I stand by it.

When they called me back to see the doctor, I had to step on the scale.  I wasn't planning to do this until the Paleo challenge was over.  The last time I weighed myself was about a month ago, and I was 129 lbs.  Today, the scale said 123 lbs.  Well, whaddayaknow?  That was a nice perk to an otherwise unpleasant morning.

After getting my throat swabbed (yuck!) twice (double yuck!), they said they'd call me in a couple days to let me know if the culture grew anything.  The rapid strep test came back negative, so I was off the hook as far as taking pills goes (I am a very bad pill-taker, I always forget).  On my way home, I drove right past Krispy Kreme.  I'm not really into donuts, but that sounded good.  No! Evil!  I kept driving.

I made a smoothie for myself (1/2 c. coconut milk, a handful of blueberries, a frozen plum, a generous helping of spinach), called Superman, and went back to bed.  I dreamed of bread.  Why?  Do we call it "comfort food" because it's our drug of choice?

For lunch, I decided I needed a nice spicy soup.  Well, at least I'd get some experimenting in.  I sliced up carrots and celery, chopped onions and garlic.  I wanted bigger pieces of garlic, which is why I didn't mince it.


I wanted to try again with the apricot juice and chili sauce combo from last night.  This is what I invented:

Spicy Apricot Chicken Curry Soup
sliced carrots
sliced celery
chopped onion
chopped garlic
1 c. apricot juice
1 t. curry
1 t. chili sauce
2 c. water
1 c. shredded chicken
1 c. soba noodles
1/4 c. coconut milk

Saute the vegetables and garlic in a little olive oil.  Mix together apricot juice, curry and chili sauce and pour over the vegetables.  Stir in the water and the chicken.  Simmer until vegetables are tender.  Add noodles and coconut milk, stir occasionally until heated through.


It was good and spicy, and it made my nose run (which is the litmus test for a good soup, you know).  I think my tongue was affected by whatever sickness I have though, because there was a weird aftertaste I couldn't quite put my finger on.  I ate a couple dates and figs to try to rid myself of it.  I brought a serving of the soup to Ballerina for her after school snack on the way to ballet class, and she said it tasted great (I also brought her a couple dates and figs, just in case).

Avocados are beautiful.
For dinner tonight, I attempted to make Riceless Sushi.  Instead of assembling everything ahead of time, I simply put all the bowls of everything on the table and told the girls to assemble their own.  Ballerina dug right in.  Actress cooked up some rice for herself (she's given up candy for an entire week, but she's not going Paleo).  Valedictorian was a good sport and reluctantly smeared avocado and shredded chicken in her nori sheet.  She took one bite and ran to the garbage can, gagging.  Okay, so it's not for everyone.

I ate a few pieces, but everything tasted weird to me.  I'd made an asian "coleslaw" with shredded cabbage and carrots, sesame oil and sesame seeds.  That tasted odd, too.  The girls said it tasted fine, not their favorite flavor, but still pretty good.  "Mom's tongue is wacko," they agreed.

Here's hoping tomorrow is a better tasting day.

Halfway Day Meals:

Meal #1
Smoothie (coconut milk, blueberries, plum, spinach)

Meal #2
Spicy Apricot Chicken Curry Soup
dates and figs

Meal #3
Paleo pancakes
almond butter
drizzle of honey

Meal #4
Riceless Sushi
Sesame Coleslaw

Comments