30 Day Challenge, Day 2 (Make Ahead Lettuce Wraps)

Today was a difficult day. 

Thursdays are my menu-planning days, and it took much longer than usual because I was researching recipes instead of just throwing together old standbys.  I found some great stuff, though, so the planning was exciting -- just time consuming.

I had to make dinner early in the day, since I'd be at work until 6, then would be dashing off to the theater to get there by 6:30 for my opening night performance of "The Plan", a new play by Eric Samuelsen.  As a result of my busy schedule, meals were mostly leftovers and sort of redundant.  But some days are like that, even when you're not eating Paleo.

While I was at work, I got a phone call from the director.  The actor who plays opposite me was suddenly in the hospital, preparing to go under the knife for open heart surgery.  This was completely unanticipated.  Another actor in the show was asked to step up and take on the role, and I was needed at the theater at 6:00 to run the scene with him.  I wept a bit and made a couple of urgent phone calls to manage transportation for Ballerina, then left work early.  Thank goodness dinner was already made, because this would have totally thrown me off track.

I have to say that my new scene partner is amazing.  In the course of one afternoon, he managed to memorize a 15-minute two-person scene.  He performed brilliantly that night, and I'm completely in awe of him.  Our good friend is doing well, in good spirits, and we anticipate his full recovery.

Today's food:

Meal #1
Leftover chicken/veg stir fry

Meal #2
Leftover mini turkey-veg burgers, wrapped in lettuce, with avocado and grape tomatoes

Meal #3
Leftover chicken/veg, warmed with coconut milk and curry

Meal #4
Chicken lettuce wraps (recipe follows)
Fresh kiwi

Meal #5
Leftover lettuce wraps

Paleo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
I totally ignored the measurements for the mushrooms and onions, and just chopped up what I felt like, which ended up being more like equal amounts with the can of water chestnuts.  You can do that, too.

3 tablespoons oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup water chestnuts
2/3 cup mushrooms
3 tablespoons chopped onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic (I minced a fresh clove of garlic without measuring)
ginger
4 -5 leaves iceberg lettuce (I recommend just using an entire head of iceberg)

Bring oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan.

Saute chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per side or done.

As chicken cooks mince water chestnuts and mushrooms to about the size of small peas.
  
Remove chicken from the pan.

Add a little more oil, add garlic, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms to the pan.

Mince the chicken as small as the mushrooms and water chestnuts are.

Add the chicken to the pan.

Season and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then serve it in the lettuce "cups". 

Comments