30 Day Challenge, Day 4 (Surprise Soup)

Today we had a birthday party for Actress, my 13-year-old.  Since I'm not "making" everyone in the family participate in the Paleo challenge, I (somewhat reluctantly) provided non-Paleo party food:  Doritos, m&m's, chocolate chip cookies, zucchini muffins, lemonade.  Actress also requested a veggie tray.  With ranch.  *helpless shrug*  In addition, she and her dad spent hours making an ice cream cake.  I also bought a piñata and over ten bucks worth of candy to go inside.  That was probably my most difficult purchase.  Why was I spending money on something I deem as garbage?  On the other hand, I refuse to be the mom who fills a piñata with little bags of baby carrots.  I am not an extremist.

The party went well.  The guests were happy.  They ate nearly all the veggies, about half the zucchini muffins, almost the entire bag of Doritos, less than half of the cookies, lots of m&m's, and drank all the lemonade.  Most of them opted to not eat ice cream cake.  Come to think of it, we probably could have gotten away with far less sugar at the party.  Even after the piñata was broken open, very few kids decided to take home candy.  Anyone want a tootsie roll?

Even with a party happening at our house, I did manage to make yummy paleo fare:

Meal #1
Peach Melba Smoothie

Meal #2
"Surprise Soup"
Clementine orange

I couldn't bring myself to have lettuce wraps one more time this week.  They were good, but it was getting a bit repetitive.  I took the lettuce wrap filling out of the fridge, threw it in a pot, and poured some coconut milk over it.  Letting my imagination take flight, I pulled out a couple dried apricots (home-dried, or over-dried I should say...they're nearly hard as rocks) and threw them in the blender, pulsed them until they were powder, then I sprinkled that in my soup.  I added fresh garlic, zucchini, and okra, sprinkled a little garam masala over it, and dabbed a little hot chili garlic sauce in.  I let it simmer until the vegetables were cooked but not soggy.  I knew I'd still eat it even if it tasted weird, but surprise!  Oh my goodness, it was good.  I was about to eat all of it, when I realized Ballerina would be home from ballet class soon, and would need lunch.  So I tucked it in the fridge.  She concurred -- Surprise Soup was a success.

Meal #3
Coconut-crusted Tilapia (I was in fits of delight over this.  YUM.)
Strawberries
Grapefruit
Sweet peppers

Meal #4
Layered Salad (chopped romaine, chopped spinach, chopped turkey, chopped almonds, diced strawberries, sliced avocado half, olive oil, red wine vinegar)
Clementine orange

I was a little hungry when I got home from my performance, but being tired won out over food.  However, it was such a wonderful day for my tastebuds, I couldn't bring myself to complain.

Comments