Friday, April 1, 2011

30 Day Challenge, Day 16 (Spiced Nuts, Favorite Chili)

You know how even the most boring outfit in your closet feels new and exciting again when you have a new accessory to go with it?  Whether it's a new necklace or purse or pair of shoes (yes, shoes are SO an accessory), it just makes all your outfits more fun to wear.

This is how I got out of the lunch rut I felt I was in a few days ago.  No, I didn't go buy a new pair of shoes (well, actually, I bought two new pairs of shoes, but that was a couple weeks ago, and it has nothing to do with food).  Today, I made these (my modification below):


Spiced Nuts

And they changed everything.  First, I found it hard to stop eating them.  But then, I was absolutely beside myself with glee anticipating them on a salad.

Today's lunch.  A thing of beauty.
Ballerina's eyes opened wide when she tasted them.  Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner.  (Thanks, Mel!)

Today's delicious food:

Meal #1
Berry Daquiri Smoothie (strawberries, blueberries, lime juice, coconut milk)
spiced nuts

Meal #2
Romaine Salad (romaine, chicken, strawberry, sweet pepper, avocado, spiced nuts, red wine vinegar)

Meal #3
Baby carrots
Spiced nuts

Meal #4
Mel's Favorite Chili
Mangoes

Meal #5
Shredded chicken, grapes, spiced nuts
coconut milk


(Okay, so maybe I leaned a little too much on the spiced nuts today.  But seriously, once you taste them, I think you'll hardly be able to blame me.)
 
Sweet  & Salty Spiced Nuts
    2 1/2 cup nuts – I used almonds and walnuts and pecans
    2 tablespoons coconut oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons ground dates ("date sugar")
    1 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 300F.

2. Heat oil over medium-low heat, then add cumin and cayenne. Cook 'til fragrant, about 15 seconds.

3. Pour oil over the nuts and toss well to coat. Add sugar and salt; toss to coat.

4. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for about 20 minutes, til they're lightly browned.

5.  Let cool, then transfer to a container with a lid.  Then put in a safe with a padlock before you're tempted to eat them all in one sitting.

1 comment:

  1. Mom-Your pictures are looking awesome! And the nuts look and taste delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete