30 Day Challenge, Day 16 (Spiced Nuts, Favorite Chili)

You know how even the most boring outfit in your closet feels new and exciting again when you have a new accessory to go with it?  Whether it's a new necklace or purse or pair of shoes (yes, shoes are SO an accessory), it just makes all your outfits more fun to wear.

This is how I got out of the lunch rut I felt I was in a few days ago.  No, I didn't go buy a new pair of shoes (well, actually, I bought two new pairs of shoes, but that was a couple weeks ago, and it has nothing to do with food).  Today, I made these (my modification below):


Spiced Nuts

And they changed everything.  First, I found it hard to stop eating them.  But then, I was absolutely beside myself with glee anticipating them on a salad.

Today's lunch.  A thing of beauty.
Ballerina's eyes opened wide when she tasted them.  Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner.  (Thanks, Mel!)

Today's delicious food:

Meal #1
Berry Daquiri Smoothie (strawberries, blueberries, lime juice, coconut milk)
spiced nuts

Meal #2
Romaine Salad (romaine, chicken, strawberry, sweet pepper, avocado, spiced nuts, red wine vinegar)

Meal #3
Baby carrots
Spiced nuts

Meal #4
Mel's Favorite Chili
Mangoes

Meal #5
Shredded chicken, grapes, spiced nuts
coconut milk


(Okay, so maybe I leaned a little too much on the spiced nuts today.  But seriously, once you taste them, I think you'll hardly be able to blame me.)
 
Sweet  & Salty Spiced Nuts
    2 1/2 cup nuts – I used almonds and walnuts and pecans
    2 tablespoons coconut oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons ground dates ("date sugar")
    1 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 300F.

2. Heat oil over medium-low heat, then add cumin and cayenne. Cook 'til fragrant, about 15 seconds.

3. Pour oil over the nuts and toss well to coat. Add sugar and salt; toss to coat.

4. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for about 20 minutes, til they're lightly browned.

5.  Let cool, then transfer to a container with a lid.  Then put in a safe with a padlock before you're tempted to eat them all in one sitting.

Comments

  1. Mom-Your pictures are looking awesome! And the nuts look and taste delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment