30 Day Challenge, Day 18 (Chicken Vegetable Lo Mein)

The weirdest thing has been happening.  I used to have to make sure I ate every 2 - 3 hours, or I'd feel quite murderous.  But today, I ate a late breakfast (I slept in), then six hours later ate dinner with no pressing need for food in between.  Six hours would have been dangerous before.  But when three hours had passed since breakfast, I still felt just fine.  No hunger.  So I decided I'd eat as soon as I was hungry.  In fact, you'll notice that my usual 5 - 6 meals per day has shrunk towards 4 meals per day.  Interesting.

Ballerina got a phone call this afternoon, from a friend inviting her over for a Girls Night.  Her side of the conversation sounded like this:  "yes?  Woo hoo!  Will there be paleo fare?"  That girl is pretty awesome.  I love that her friends know what paleo is. :)  Oh, and by the way...she's lost 8 lbs. so far.

We tried an experiment tonight.  Root vegetable "chips".  I bought a rutabaga, a turnip,  a beet and a sweet potato.  This is what we got...

it's late and I'm too tired to re-orient the photo.  Just tilt your head to one side.
They were tasty.  But a lot of work, for how fast they get eaten.  Still, it was fun to try it.

 Meal #1
Thrown together paleo pancakes (I didn't measure anything.  I just threw an egg, some almond butter, some applesauce, some cinnamon, and some ginger in a bowl, then thinned it with coconut milk.)
Scotch Egg
Throat Coat tea (which tastes acceptably sweet to me now, without sweeteners)

Meal #2
Chicken Vegetable Lo Mein (recipe follows)
Root Vegetable Chips (fried in coconut oil)

Meal #3
fresh strawberries, apples, mangoes, clementines


Chicken Vegetable Lo Mein
coconut or olive oil
Chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup water chestnuts, sliced
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
2 cups shredded cabbage
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced Ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Sesame seeds to garnish

Heat wok over high heat.

Add oil, swirl to coat bottom of wok, then add meat.

Cook meat for 3-4 minutes, until mostly cooked.

Add in broccoli, water chestnuts, celery and mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes

Add in almonds, cabbage, green onion, ginger and garlic.  Cook 2-3 minutes, until cabbage softens a little.

Remove from heat, garnish with sesame seeds, and enjoy!

Comments

  1. Paleo has had the same affect on me. I sustain much longer with out "crashing". Usually, I am reminded to eat because I get tired. Then I say, "oh gosh... its been 5 hours..." then I eat and feel energetic again. Little or no mood swings and I sleep like a baby. I don't know if this is common but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get hungry as soon either. But mood swings? Yeah, I got plenty of those. I have some to spare Dan, want any? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment