30 Day Challenge, Day 26 (Ballerina's Point of View)

Today's post is from Ballerina's blog.  I've been wondering how she would do this week, since she's on vacation with her dad.  In some ways, it's a little anti-climactic to end the challenge away from each other, but I have to say, I'm so proud of that girl!  Oh, and just so you don't get confused, she calls her big sister Stripes and her little sister Mastermind...

It's the last week of the Paleo challenge and I'm sad that it will soon be over.  I mean, we're continuing it for...pretty much the rest of forever...but the OFFICIAL challenge? Soon to be over.

This next week will really be a challenge though.  I'm on Spring Break and we are visiting my grandparents.  If I was with my mother, maybe it would be a bit easier.  But I am with my dad and sisters, and grandparents on my dad's side.  My dad sometimes raises his eyebrows at Paleo, and my grandma looked shocked when I told her 'No grains'. 

"That's a pretty restrictive diet", she said.
I simply smiled and told her, "I thought it would be hard. But it's not."

Mastermind, my younger sister, has turned up her nose to nearly every Paleo meal my mom has so wonderfully, creatively, masterfully cooked for us.  Stripes, my older sister, is always willing to try a 'No-Thank-You' helping, and sometimes she really likes it and sometimes she runs to the garbage can gagging a bit.  But at least I know she's supportive of Paleo.  When she sees Paleo options, Stripes says, "Hey, Paleo!"  I'm glad she's not the type of person to say, "Hey Muffin, why the hecka are you doing Paleo? You don't need to lose weight! Have some cheeeese..."

Thankfully only a few people do that.

So this morning, I made scrambled eggs and sweet potato hashbrowns before we left for anyone who wanted some.

I packed Paleo options for snacks in the car--cucumbers, celery, carrots, a few nuts and some raisins, strawberries, apples, and bananas. (My dad was very kind to go buy fresh produce, he even got a red pepper even though they're an 'expensive vegetable'.  Love you Papi. :))  I even grilled up a turkey burger and cut it into strips, and boiled some eggs.  The eggs were so cute after Mastermind and Papi decorated them for me as a surprise(Happy Easter!)....too bad the eggs got left in the fridge back home, woops :S....But it's totally fine!


Paleo Snack Food

The Low Carb Burger
For lunch we stopped at Carl's Jr.  At first I was kinda freaking out...then dad told me they have a low-carb burger.  No bun, wrapped in lettuce instead.  So I got that and asked for NO CHEESE, MAYO, or KETCHUP.  It was emphasized. 

Me with my seemingly innocent Low-Carb Burger
Let's just say Carl's Jr.'s motto isn't "Have It Your Way" for good reason.
The burger looked good, smelled good, and tasted good--until I hit the ketchup in the middle.
"Dad.  My burger has ketchup on it."
"No it doesn't, that's just tomato juice mixed in with the mustard."
"No dad, it has ketchup on it."
"Nah."
"Dad. I haven't had sugar for about a month. I think I know when there is ketchup. On. My. Burger."

My dad took a small fingerfull(don't worry, I offered so he could tell it was ketchup.), and STILL said it wasn't ketchup.
It was bright red! What fast food place has tomatos that have thick bright red juice?!?!  The answer is NONE, it wasn't juice, it was ketchup.
And it was so sweet it was like vinegar CANDY. Eww. I will NEVER desire ketchup again. EVER! In my life!!  It was so nasty.

Since I was halfway through my burger I opened it up, got a napkin, and wiped off the ketchup as best I could.  Dad felt bad that there [may have] been ketchup, but I said it was ok, it was just a little bit and then I fixed it.  Mom told me to just do my best to stay Paleo.  I knew I wouldn't be able to be perfect.
But I did write up a comment card for Carl's Jr. I hope they get a kick out of it.

And the back said,"But the thestrals loved the grilled pineapple!"
I hope they send a letter to Hermione Granger :)

When we got to Grandma and Grandpa's, there was a chicken curry soup. 
It was mostly Paleo as far as I could tell.  Grandma had put some Mayo in it. I checked out the Mayo ingredients, and at a quick glance all I found non-caveman was Soybean Oil. But Grandma assured me it was such a small amount it would hardly make a difference. 
I wondered how many spices in the soup had dextrose.  But I was hungry, this was what was available, so I ate a couple of bowls of it.  I didn't eat the rice or the sugar-free jello. 

Grandma also gave me a small tour of the fridge. She bought lots of veggies, fruits, and even ALMOND MILK! I'm so grateful.  She went to a lot of trouble to get me food to eat and I really appreciate it.

Hopefully the rest of the week goes ok! Stripes and I plan to go running in the morning.

Comments