30 Day Challenge, Day 28 (Paleo "Cheesecake")

This is what I'm making for dessert tonight...


I really hope it turns out.  More later.

***Later***

Tonight, Superman and I had dinner with my mom.  My mom loves nuts, and tonight's menu was especially nut intensive.

First, we introduced her to Paleo dinner with the Rosemary Rainbow Tart, mixed greens salad and Curry Carrot Bisque



For dessert, I made the "cheesecake" pictured above.  Mine didn't turn out exactly like that one.  I pressed the almond crust up the edges of the springform pan, and if I had it to do over again, I would have just pressed it into one level at the base instead.  It still turned out beautifully, though -- and so mouthwateringly delicious.




The crust didn't hold together so well.  This was a "raw" recipe, and I think I'd prefer a cooked crust.  Also, refraining from pressing the crust up the edges of the pan would probably solve the crumble problem.  We didn't waste what fell off, though.  We just used it as a topping.


The texture really was very cheesecake-like.  This is a nut-intensive recipe, so it should be saved for special occasions only because of its dense calorie count.

Blueberry-Lime Non-Dairy Cheesecake
inspired by Meyer Lemon Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
(Just so you know, I am completely in love with Cuisinart for this recipe.)


For the Crust:
2 cups raw almonds
8 pitted dates

Place almonds and dates in a food processor and mix until chopped and well incorporated.  Press the almond mixture into the bottom only of a springform pan.

For the Filling:
3 cups raw cashews soaked for three hours
3/4 cup fresh lime juice (I used 5 limes)
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp sea salt

To make the cheese, blend the cashews, lime juice, honey, coconut oil, vanilla and sea salt. Blend until smooth and adjust to taste.

Pour mixture on top of the "crust" and carefully tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles.

For the Topping:
1 bag of frozen blueberries, partially thawed
5 - 6 dates
juice from one lime

Place berries, dates and lime juice in a high speed blender and process until smooth. Pour over "cheese" mixture.

Place the pan in the freezer for at least three hours or overnight. Before serving place on counter to thaw slightly. This is best served semi frozen, soft enough to run a serrated knife through.

Comments