30 Day Challenge, Day 22 (Rosemary Apple Chicken)

A while ago, I read about a "Paleo chocolate pudding" recipe.  Hmmmm... I was suspicious.  Sometimes substitutes for your favorite pre-paleo fare work well, but pudding?  Well, the next time I happened to have the opportunity, I decided I'd try it.

So, this morning, when I saw a half banana and a half avocado in the fridge after the girls left for school, I thought the day had come.  I threw the banana and avocado in the blender and added a little coconut milk until the mixture was pudding consistency.  I tapped in a teaspoon of cocoa powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla.  It was sort of tricky to get this small amount to do its thing in a tall blender, but I made it work.

I spooned the "pudding" into a dessert cup, because I was feeling fancy (and because I knew I'd be taking a photo for you), then sprinkled a few homemade paleo chocolate chips on top.  The flavor was... not chocolate pudding.  Don't get me wrong, I still liked it.  It just wasn't chocolate pudding.  Perhaps I'm still too "young" in this Paleo thing, because I still actually remember what chocolate pudding tastes like.  And I like it. :)  Truthfully, though, I'd rather slice avocados and bananas and have them that way, rather than blended together into a pudding.  My opinion?  Save the avocados for eating as avocados.

Avocado-Banana-Cocoa Pudding

Lunch today was a glorious retread of pulled pork leftovers, garnished with apricot sauce.  I'm finding that apricots are very versatile.  I love their sweetness, their tang.  Mmmm!



But then there was dinner.  Ohhhhhhhh.  Dinner.  The menu itself is deceptively simple, but the flavors!  I wish I could take credit for the recipes, but alas, I used the brilliance of others.


*edit*  I almost forgot to mention!  Actress, as you know, is only coming along this Paleo ride because she doesn't have a choice.  She groans every time I find a new way to prepare cauliflower.  This time, she begrudgingly had a tiny serving.  AND THEN SHE HAD SECONDS.  Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!!!


Meal #1
Omelet Cups
Cucumber Spears
Almond-Butter-and-Plum Smoothie

Meal #2
Pulled Pork with Apricot Sauce
Banana-Avocado-Chocolate "Pudding"

Meal #3
Tuna Salad (tuna, avocado, lime juice, sweet peppers, cucumber)
Coconut Milk

Meal #4
Rosemary Apple Chicken
Savory Cauliflower Fried Rice (my minor modifications below)
Oven Roasted Asparagus

Savory Cauliflower Fried Rice
1 head cauliflower
1/2 onion – minced
3 garlic cloves – minced
a generous sprinkle of dried basil
1 egg
2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp sea salt
black pepper to taste
3-4 tbsp coconut oil

Shred the cauliflower into a large mixing bowl, add the minced onions, garlic, and basil.  Whisk the egg, and add it, along with the coconut, salt, and pepper.  Mix all the ingredients well.  Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Pour the entire mixture in the skillet and saute for 7-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.  Serve warm.


Oven Roasted Asparagus
Cut the bottom inch or so from a bunch of asparagus.  Place the asparagus in a gallon-size ziploc bag.  Drizzle with olive oil, close the bag, and gently massage the oil throughout the asparagus.  Empty into a foil-lined baking sheet.  Sprinkle with kosher salt and ground pepper.  Roast in a 500 degree oven 10 - 15 minutes, until the asparagus is just barely tender.  Serve immediately.

Comments

  1. did you know that asparagus will naturally snap at the point where the veggie becomes too "woody" - saves from having to guess!

    http://172.18.0.50:15871/cgi-bin/blockpage.cgi?ws-session=688813389

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps i didn't mean to sound so snooty - i love LOVE your blog!! wish i had blogged about my first 30 day challenge - but i'm using your blog for inspiration for 30 day challenge number 2!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment