Crabby Patties

My wound is healing nicely, thank you. :)  I took a rest day today, but I fully expect to be crushing a wod tomorrow.  Just no box jumps yet.  Okay, Superman?

Tonight I tried a new recipe.  And here's the shocker... even Actress would eat it.  True, she did drizzle on her favorite craptastic condiments (ketchup and sweet relish -- I told her to enjoy them while they last, because I'm not going to buy more), and turned her nose up at the lettuce.  But she ate it.  Three servings.

During dinner, Actress told me she wants to pack her own lunches from now on, instead of eating school lunch.  Then she went on to detail for me the kind of lunches she's been served at school.  Today was a corn dog with potato chips and a carton of cardboard-flavored milk.

I'm sorry, since when was that considered a nutritious meal?  Even if you follow the food pyramid style of nutrition concept, that lunch is rife with no-no's.  I just don't get it.

Anyhow, dinner.  It was just fun to say "Crabby Patties" every time someone asked, "what's for dinner tonight?"  I felt a little like Spongebob.

The recipe is at the end of the post.  Here's the process:

First, I drained the crab using my tuna press.  Since a can of crab meat is a bit deeper than a can of tuna, my tuna press wasn't able to adequately drain the meat.


So I dumped the contents of one partially drained can into another partially drained can, and used the tuna press to finish the draining process.

Two cans worth of crab in one can, partially drained.

Two cans worth of crab in one can, well drained.

After the crab was sufficiently drained, I mixed together all the ingredients.  I then used a medium-sized cookie scoop to make 12 patties, forming them with my hands.  These are fragile little things.  I tucked them into a plastic container, using plastic wrap under the patties and between each layer.


I melted coconut oil in my frying pan (I actually ended up adding about this much more coconut oil)...


...fried the patties on each side until they were golden...


...then served on a bed of iceberg lettuce, with sweet peppers and carrots and lemon wedges.



Crabby Patties
inspired by this recipe


Mix together:

4 6-oz cans crab meat, very well drained
¼ c. unsweetened finely shredded dried coconut
1/2 T. mixture of dill weed, basil, rosemary, bay leaves; ground in spice mill
¼ c. olive oil
2 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper

Shape into 12 patties, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

Fry in coconut oil, drain on paper towels or a cooling rack.

Serve with lettuce, sweet peppers, and lemon wedges.

Comments