Paleo Stuffed Mushrooms


There are some foods which refuse to be rushed, which will not abide being wolfed down.  Stuffed mushrooms are just such a food for me.  Once I place one in my mouth, nothing can induce me to chew quickly or swallow it down with water.  The conversation will simply have to wait until I'm finished enjoying the morsel of complex and varied textures and flavors.

Yesterday, I decided to experiment.  I invited two trusty taste-testers to sample my attempt.  We all agreed that these are marvelous and I should make them again.  Soon.  Very soon.

Sausage and Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms
1/2 lb. turkey sausage (ground turkey with seasonings added)
coconut oil
1 lb. mushrooms, stems and caps separated, stems chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 carrot, shredded
1/2 zucchini, shredded
1 clove garlic, minced
fresh parsley (about 1/4 bunch)
small cooked shrimp

Cook and crumble sausage in a large frying pan.  Remove from pan and set aside.

Add 1 T. coconut oil to the frying pan.  Saute chopped mushroom stems, shredded carrot, shredded zucchini, chopped onions, and minced garlic.

Meanwhile, pulse parsley with cooked sausage in a food processor until well chopped and combined.  Add meat to the vegetables.

Dip mushroom caps in coconut oil and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.

Scoop stuffing into/onto mushroom caps.  Top each with one small shrimp.

Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.

Comments