The Best Chicken Stir Fry


Not even kidding -- this is the best stir fry I've ever made.  I wish I'd made twice as much.  This is what I did:

The Best Chicken Stir Fry
3 chicken breasts, cut up (Double it.  Trust me.)
olive oil
kosher salt
cumin
curry powder
3 carrots, sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 broccoli crown, broken into florets (slice up the stalks)
1/2 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 head cabbage, sliced into "noodles"

Drizzle olive oil in large frying pan and begin to heat.  Place cut up chicken in frying pan, sprinkle with kosher salt, cumin and curry powder.  Stir fry until cooked through.  Set aside and cover.

Drizzle more oil in pan, throw in the carrots, celery, broccoli, onion and garlic.  Stir fry until the vegetables are crisp-tender and broccoli turns bright green.  Set aside and cover.

Drizzle more oil in pan, dump cabbage shreds in.  Cook without stirring, covered, until bottom layer is golden, then stir so it doesn't burn.  Cover and heat until cabbage is crisp-tender.  Turn off heat but leave covered while you set the table and cut up some fruit.

Layer cabbage, then veggies, then chicken.  Feel free to sprinkle shredded coconut and/or sesame seeds.  Serve alongside a portion of fruit.

------
So remember my conundrum from last night?  I shouldn't have spent a single moment worrying about it.  When I arrived at the rec center this morning, I simply asked at the front desk if I could bring a barbell out to the track.  The nice girl smiled and said of course, as long as I bring it back.

I was planning to do front squats today, but my back muscles were really hurting last night.  I had to take advil just to get to sleep.  After discussing it with Superman, he said he wanted me to do back squats instead, to force me to keep good posture.  Better to alter the workout a bit than to damage my back because I don't have a coach watching me, making sure I'm using correct technique.

Warmup:
40 leg lifts on the roman chair
stretch
practice back squats 65#
carry 45# bar out to the track (about 100 meters)

Wod:
5 rounds
400 m run
15 back squats 45#
Time -- 16:00

Buy out:
Carry 45# bar back inside (about 100 meters)
2 sets of 5 back squats 95#

A class of PE students came out to the track in the middle of my wod.  The teacher was instructing them on the rules of sharing the track as I came around the bend, and she was standing right next to my bar.  She moved herself and her slightly clueless students out of my path.  I panted "thanks," crouched down and grabbed the bar, and started my back squats.  Shortly afterward, the students set off on their required 400 meters.  There were kids who couldn't even keep running for one entire lap.  That's just sad.

Tomorrow my workout is ballet class, and dinner is leftovers.  If I end up fixing anything interesting, I'll let you know, otherwise expect a post on Saturday!

Comments