Folks, that's a new record!

Years ago, when I started doing Body for Life (the first diet/exercise plan I'd ever done that was successful), I remember some days thinking, "studies say that vacuuming the house counts as exercise.  Maybe today, instead of going for a run, I'll just vacuum the whole house."  And then my shoulder angel would say, "Yeah, right.  And how did that work for you before?"  And I'd acknowledge that housework had never kept me fit before, and it was no use justifying in order to slack off.

This is the main reason this blog is called "How's That Been Working For You?" -- because I am challenging myself, and any readers out there, to consider past habits and ask if going back to them is actually going to help.  After the last 30 Day Challenge, I was feeling thin and fit and happy.  All my clothes were way too loose, but that was a problem I was willing to deal with.  Unfortunately, over the last couple of months, I've allowed myself to slip back into some of my old habits:  being too busy to work out, indulging in treats.  My lean abs have hidden themselves again behind a layer of squoosh.  My loose pants are now fitting again.  Dang.

There are people in the world who never have to watch what they eat in order to stay thin.  Lucky ducks.  It's not fair, but there you have it.  Some of us will simply have to always be careful about the kind of fuel we put in our bodies, or we gain weight...and some of us gain very quickly.  Curses.  True, I know that if I treat my body well, I avoid disease and improve the quality and length of my life.  These things are very important to me.  Now that I've found Superman, I want to live a good, long time.  And I want to be able to spend that life doing active and fun things.   But don't be misled by those healthy goals.  The fact of the matter is that I want to look great...in clothes, in a swimsuit, and out of them!  I'm sad that I lost sight of that temporarily.  The good news is, I've already proved to myself that I know what to do about it!

As I was running this morning, I was hoping I would set a new PR for my mile.  I thought, I may not be the fittest 40-something you know.  I may not be the strongest or the fastest.  But I'm pushing myself, and I want to be one of the fittest women you know, no matter what the age.

After the run, I did the following wod:

3 rounds
12 body rows (I prop a sturdy broom handle between my kitchen counters and row up to it)
75 air squats
Time:  8:59

And I did set a new PR.  It's not a world record, but it's my record.  One mile in 8:20.

Comments