Pork Chops with Peach-Tomato Salsa

Let's get right to the food, shall we?  I found this recipe while browsing through Meal of the Day on foodee.com, and had to try it out.

 Pork Chops With Peach-Tomato Salsa
inspired by this recipe from everydaypaleo.com

3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 fresh lime, juiced
4 (3/4- to 1-inch-thick) boneless pork chops

2 peaches
1 fresh lime, juiced
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 small onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh jalapeño chile
several fresh basil leaves, chopped
a couple sprinkles dried mint
2 tablespoons red-wine or cider vinegar


Combine minced garlic, olive oil, and lime juice in a gallon-size ziploc bag.  Add pork chops, marinate in the fridge for an hour or two.


Preheat oven to 450.  Drizzle a little olive oil in a glass baking dish.  Place pork chops side by side in the baking dish.  Bake for 20 minutes on each side (or until it starts to brown on top).


Toss chopped peaches with lime juice in a medium bowl and let stand 5 minutes.  Stir in tomatoes, onions, jalapeño, herbs, and vinegar. Let stand while pork bakes.  Serve chops with salsa.

The sweetness from the peaches balances out the spicy from the jalapeño very nicely.  We served this alongside roasted asparagus and cantaloupe.

Today's WOD:

3 rounds
40 double unders
30 box jumps
20 DB swings 50#
Time - 18:43

The prescribed wod was 5 rounds, but I modified it when I realized it would probably kill me.  My rec center doesn't have a box for jumps, but it does have metal benches for people to sit and wait for a racquetball court.  I pulled one of those close to the entrance of the weight room (a converted racquetball court) so that I could step out and do my jumps.  The DB swings were hard -- partly because 50# is heavy for me, and partly because a dumbbell is not a kettlebell.  You can't grip it the same way.  There was one other person in the weight room today.  He was not a creep, but he did watch me yell my way through my last two sets of DB swings as he finished his bench presses.  I can't blame him.  I was a sight to see (and hear).  When I was done, he asked me how many rounds I did, and said it looked like I was keeping up a great pace.

After my workout, I came home and dove into my yardwork.  That Farmer's Walk from yesterday totally affected my skills with tree pruning today.  Very little grip ability.  And my forearms were spent!  I had a devil of a time pruning the boxwoods with the shears.  

The good news is that next time, I'll be stronger.

Comments