Carrot Colada Ice Cream

I've been busy creating new recipes.  Some of them aren't ready to share yet, but once I've perfected them, you can bet they'll be posted here!  With pictures!

So, one day I was checking my stats, and I saw that someone found my site by googling "carrot colada".  And I thought, "hey, cool!"  I ran the idea past Lo and Peef, and received mixed reactions.  I made a carrot colada smoothie to test out the flavor combination, and it was gooooooood.  Truly.  When I told Superman, he was all for it.  Topped with jalapenos, of course.



Carrot Colada Ice Cream
1 c. carrot juice
2 bananas
2 eggs
1 T. vanilla
1 can full-fat coconut milk

Place all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth.  Pour into ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.  Drizzle Jalapeno Mojito Syrup and garnish with toasted unsweetened shredded coconut.

Jalapeno Mojito Syrup
inspired by this recipe

2 c. fresh mint leaves, well crushed
12 oz. can apple juice concentrate (100% juice), thawed
zest and juice of one lime
1 jalapeno, washed and stemmed (remove seeds for only the slightest hint of heat, leave seeds for noticeable heat)

Place all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over high heat.  Boil for 3 minutes, turn off heat and cover.  Steep 15 minutes.  Strain.  Store in fridge.
---------------------
The syrup seems to develop more robust flavor overnight, so I recommend making it a day ahead.  Also, I didn't bruise the mint leaves much, and my syrup didn't have a very minty flavor.  Next time I'll give them a good beating!  I tried the jalapeno without the seeds, and even my tender sensitive mouth couldn't detect much heat at all.  I'm going to have to make it again, and experiment with keeping a few of the seeds.  You could also substitute white grape juice concentrate, but I really liked the flavor combination of the apple with the carrot.

Lo didn't think she could like an ice cream that had carrot in the title, so I told her it was Sunshine Colada ice cream.  After tasting it, she conceded that it was good, darnit.  I've actually come to the point where I prefer the texture of paleo ice cream.  The last time I had traditional ice cream, it felt foamy and thick and sticky and unpleasant to me.  Shoot.  You know this means I'm going to have to come up with a chocolate ice cream substitute now.

Comments