Green Ice Cream

Well, folks, here we are at the end of the 60 Day Challenge.  My grand plans to post often during the challenge got a bit swallowed up in being engaged.  *sheepish shrug*

Instead of making actual recipes, I've been very fond of shredding whatever veggies I have on hand and stir-frying them with spicy sausage or shrimp or chicken or pork.  I throw on whatever spices sound good to me (I usually sniff them before I sprinkle them, to make sure they're what I'm in the mood for).

A little over a month ago, Superman built me my own Poor Man's Crossfit gym.  I now have a pull up bar, rings, three stacking boxes for jumps, a 40 lb. sandbag, and paralettes.  I've done several workouts at home with my new equipment.  It's great!  I pull the car out of the garage, do my WOD, put the car back, and get on with my day.  True, I don't have a bar and weights for heavy lifting, but we're working on a solution for that.  In the meantime, I still have the rec center -- I just don't go as often.  All three of my WODs so far this week have been in my garage gym:

"Cindy"
20 min AMRAP
5 pull ups
10  push ups
15 squats

I got 12 rounds.  Those push ups kill me.

Tabata Double Unders.  Let's just say tabata + jumprope + sneakers + Ms. Julie = frustration.  I got 22 on my first round, and not even close to half that on every subsequent round.  I kept stepping/tripping on the silly rope.  *shaking fist*

5 rounds
6 Handstand push-ups
12 pull-ups
24 sandbag lunges

16 minutes.  And my legs were very shaky afterward.

And this morning's wod:

15-1, 14-2, 13-3...1-15
box jumps 12"
DB swings 30#

Yes, I know that's a small box and a light weight for DB swings.  Holding the 20# dumb bells criss-crossed for swings smashes my fingers, and I had to play the piano today, so I was protecting myself.  And the smaller box?  Well, we all know why I'd be skittish about box jumps.  So I determined to push for speed.  I was hoping I'd get sub 10 mins.  I finished in 13:30.  Not bad, but I could have worked harder.  It's hard when you're working out alone.

And now, for a very healthy dessert.  Yes, healthy.  I'm not kidding.


I tested this out as a smoothie a couple weeks ago, and decided it would work well as an ice cream.  I wish I had a better name for it, but it's just not coming to me.

Green Ice Cream
1 can coconut milk
3 bananas
2 eggs
3 cups fresh spinach
1 can pineapple
juice of one lime

Puree everything in a large blender until smooth and no flecks of spinach remain.  Freeze according to ice cream maker instructions. 

I need to make this again because one, it's delicious, and two, I need a more appetizing photo.  With perhaps a sprig of fresh mint for garnish.  But look at this!  You've got your protein, your fruit, your veggies and your vitamin C!  Bingo!


Comments