Roasted Squash Caulotto

I've been away too long.  The blog is often on my mind, but not often in my schedule.

Tonight, I attempted to make a treat that I thought would make an excellent post.  Superman loves him some apple fritters, and I thought, "Surely, with my Paleo baking expertise, I can adapt the flour and sugar out of this recipe and create a delicious dessert for my sweetheart!"

I humbly state that I was wrong.

Almond flour, with its many virtues, does not hold together well in hot oil (turns out the glue in wheat flour that blocks up my intestines is also the glue that holds dough together -- which I knew, but kind of forgot momentarily).  What we ended up with was a deep-fried plate of crumbs and diced apples.  Tasty, but not exactly fritters.  So I attempted to fry one up with far less oil.  It looked sort of like a pancake, but it was neither pancake nor fritter.  Last ditch effort to avoid wasting delicious ingredients = mini muffins.  They didn't hold together well either (I think they needed more egg, actually).  Very yummy, sort of like little cups of almond oatmeal, but they weren't really muffins, and they definitely weren't fritters.  Alas.

However!  We did have great success with adapting another recipe tonight.  On the back of the Chicken Apple Sausage label is a recipe for Roasted Squash Risotto With Chicken Apple Sausage.  (The recipe title is way too long, by the way.  I'm not a fan of titles that include all the ingredients of a dish.  Honestly.  How well would "Harry Potter" have done if it had been titled "A neglected boy who goes to a magic private school and meets kids who will be his best mates and adults who will try to kill him"?  But I digress.)

Sorry, no photos, since we were too interested in eating it.  It was creamy and sweet and lightly savory.  Very satisfying.

Roasted Squash Caulotto
2 cups chicken broth or stock
2-4 T. coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 links Chicken Apple Sausage, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
1 head cauliflower, finely chopped
1/2 c. white wine
2 c. roasted butternut squash
1 t. thyme
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large heavy skillet melt coconut oil over medium heat.  Stir in the onion and saute until fragrant.  Add the sausage and garlic and cook, stirring for 2 - 3 minutes, until the sausage begins to brown slightly.  Add the cauliflower and stir.  Stir in the wine and one cup of broth.  Stir and simmer 2 - 3 minutes.  Add the squash and another cup of broth.  Cook, stirring until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes (or longer, you won't hurt this recipe by letting it simmer for a while).  Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper.

To roast the squash:

Split the squash in half, brush with olive oil and roast at 350 degrees until tender, about 1 hour.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool.  When cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scoop the squash out of its shell.

Comments