Birthday Dinner



On my kids' birthdays, I always make the dinner they ask for.  Actress specifically requested Orange Chicken and Strawberry Tarts.  I was determined to make them paleo.

I coated chicken pieces with beaten egg and coconut flour, then cooked them in coconut oil.  Instead of rice, the chicken was served over stir-fried veggies.  I simmered orange juice concentrate on the stove to reduce it to orange sauce.



For the strawberry tarts, I looked up a recipe for coconut flour crust.  The crusts were more cookie-like in texture, and very dry, but they worked well enough for this experiment.

I modified a recipe I found here.  If I were to make this again, I'd use less coconut flour (remember how the entire recipe for Cranberry Orange Bread had only 1/2 c. flour?).  I think it would make a good crumb crust recipe, especially if chopped pecans were added to it.  I'll have to try that sometime.

Coconut Flour Pie Crust
1/4 c. coconut oil
1 c. coconut flour
2 eggs
1 t. honey
pinch salt
1/2 c. shredded unsweetened coconut
1 T. water

Pulse ingredients together in food processor.


Line cupcake tin with parchment paper strips.  Scoop crumbly "dough" mixture into each cup, then press into shape.





















Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes, until the edges start to brown.  Let cool.


Remove shells from cupcake tin.  Fill with chopped strawberries and serve.

Comments