Fitting In Again: A Guest Post

405 lbs PR
Hello! This is "Superman", the other half of the amazingly beautiful and talented Ms. Julie. Just over two years ago I introduced my then girlfriend and author of this blog to Paleo and Crossfit. She loved the workouts but scoffed at the new approach to eating. I never pushed her on the diet or preached to her the benefits. However, despite her disinterest in Paleo she dove right into this new and exciting workout regimen. On Sept 27, 2010 Julie began tracking her workouts on a Google Spreadsheet that allowed me, living in a different state at the time, to contribute feedback and add love notes to her workout regimen. 

However, not too long after she dove into the WODs she decided to give Paleo a try. Something I have learned over the years and have loved about my sweetheart is her focus and commitment to whatever she puts her mind to -- it's never halfway. Just a couple months after starting her WODs, she began this blog, "How's That Been Working for You," as a way to track the progress of this new dietary venture. 

Julie has since became an expert at Paleo and has made some pretty amazing meals. Although I introduced her to this venture, she has far surpassed me in ability to eat well all the time. She is an example to me, I'll let her blog speak for itself. 

Over the last few months however, we both have needed to learn how to adapt to an ever increasingly busy schedule -- with our wedding on June 8th, five kids, work and now I have started a full time Masters program in Counseling Psychology. It has been difficult to keep a clean diet and workout consistently. We are both no longer at our pre-wedding fitness level. We refuse to accept this and have recommitted to make our health a priority. 

With our re-commitment, I felt it would be helpful to share the guy's perspective in getting fit again and our team effort to incorporate healthy living into our family's lives. Most guys, and anyone who has a full time job and living on a budget, find it very difficult to adapt a new lifestyle and consistently live clean and fit. I hope I can share my successes and failures in a way that motivates others to do well.

My journey began July 14, 2009 when in my Brother's garage Crossfit gym he had some very strong words for me and pointed out how unfit I had become over the years. The following picture is of me at around my max weight of about 250 lbs.


He then introduced me to a  workout call Fran. This was the best and worst thing that ever happened to me. This is a workout that is 3 rounds, the first round is a set of 21 thrusters with 95 lbs (I used 65 lbs at the time) and 21 Pull ups (I did jumping pullups at the time). Then 15 on the next set and 9 on the last round.


After the workout, which took over 30 mins to complete, my brother texted my local gym owner -- some guy named Jason Khalipa -- who was at the Crossfit Games when he got the text, and told him to expect me in his gym the following week.

This started me on a transformation that I never expected. I wasn't new to fitness. For the three years previous I was routinely working out 3-5 times a week, 1-3 hours at a time. Running, elliptical, and even spinning, with occasional weightlifting. But never much progress. After joining Khalipa's gym and about 6 months of hard continuous effort and eating right, I lost 55 lbs and hit a new low of 195 lbs. That following summer in June of 2011 I took the pictures below at my lightest of 183 lbs.


I maintained this weight and increased my strength for the next year. However, in the last few months I have added unneeded weight and have lost some of my fitness level. Although Julie and I have made it a point not to be concerned with how much we weigh but rather how we look and feel, I have nevertheless put on a few pounds that have decreased my performance in the gym and life.

Over the coming weeks and months I will be sharing my challenges and progress to achieving a lifestyle that is healthy and fit while raising a family, working and attending school. I look forward to your comments and feedback. 



Comments