Paleo Packs

You may have heard of Paleokits.  Superman relied on them while he was in Russia a couple years ago.  They are a healthy mix of sugar-free beef jerky (very hard to find), dried fruits and nuts.  With Superman's busy schedule, I decided to try my hand at making my own kits.  My mom has a FoodSaver she was willing to let me borrow, so I purchased the best options I could find, and went to work.  Does it save any money?  Well, for me, yes -- since I didn't have to purchase a vacuum sealer.  However, since all the ingredients are shelf stable, you could probably just throw them in good quality zipper bags and call it good.

I keep my nuts in the freezer, so they're thawing on the counter next to this Paleo Pack.

My first try included steak strips, pistachios, pecans, raisins, dried apples and dried zucchini.  When those were all gone, it occurred to me that people might want to know how much it costs to do this.  So I did it again.  Unfortunately, Costco isn't currently stocking my beloved apple chips.  I'm dehydrating my own at this very moment, but since I needed Paleo Packs right now, I substituted a serving of dried figs. 

Here's what's in them:  1 oz. each of steak strips (no, they're not clean, but I can't buy sugar-free dried meat in the store.  I will be making my own in the future.), almonds, pistachios, raisins, figs, and a handful of my own zucchini chips (thank you, dehydrator!).  Total cost of ingredients:  about $2 per pack.

Homemade Paleo Pack



Comments