Turkey and Dumplings

What? Dumplings? On a Paleo diet?  Yes, I was doubtful too.  I didn't think they'd work.  I was sure it would be a monumental fail, just like my attempt at Paleo apple fritters.  To my surprise and delight, they actually held together.  And they were tasty.  The texture was like that of cornbread.  They were also a real hit with everyone in the family!  That's a tall order as I'm constantly introducing new flavors and textures to my boys, ages 12 and 6, and they're not always receptive.  But this one got gobbled up (and I had to fight to save some for Superman).

I started with a turkey vegetable soup that I threw in the crockpot that morning.  It was a simple combination of leftover turkey, carrots, celery, and onions, with chicken broth and a little white wine, seasoned with salt and red pepper flakes and curry powder and oregano and plenty of minced garlic.  About a half hour before dinner, I stirred together the ingredients for the dumplings, which I found here:

4 large eggs
1/4 cup  fat (I used bacon fat)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup coconut flour

After letting the dough rest for a few minutes (a necessary step when using coconut flour), I used a cookie scoop to rest the dough on top of the soup, then took the removable crock and placed it uncovered in the oven at 400 degrees.  It took about 15 - 20 minutes for the dumplings to bake.

Hearty and delicious!

Comments