Spicy Thai Pumpkin Soup

A friend just asked what the best soup is for combating a cold.  My quick answer was my new favorite, Spicy Thai Pumpkin Soup.  I thought I had already posted the recipe, but a quick search confirmed otherwise.  So, to get you well, here it is (even though I don't have pictures for it yet).

Spicy Thai Pumpkin Soup
2 T. coconut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ onion, chopped
2 small fresh red chili peppers, chopped (or sprinkle dried red pepper flakes, to taste.  About 1/2 tsp works well for starters.)
2 c. chicken stock
1 can coconut milk
2 c. cooked and mashed pumpkin (or 4 cups raw, peeled and diced)
1 bunch fresh basil leaves, snipped into tiny pieces
Dried red pepper flakes, to taste
Salt to taste

Saute garlic, onion, chilies in oil until fragrant.  Stir in chicken stock, coconut milk, pumpkin, basil and pepper flakes.  Bring to a boil. If using raw pumpkin, cook until the pumpkin is soft.

Blend the soup in batches to a smooth or slightly chunky consistency, whatever you prefer.  Since I use pumpkin that I've previously cooked and mashed, I don't blend it at all.  A very fast dish to put together!

I can never make enough of this to enjoy leftovers.  It gets slurped up right away every time.  Get well soon!

Comments