Paleo Valentine's Day 2013

I am married to Superman and it was Valentine's Day.  *happy sigh*

*ahem*  Okay, back to blogging.  For us, Valentine's Day has been a family event for many years.  The eight Valentine's Days I celebrated as a single mom before falling in love with Superman were all about having a day of love and pink and hearts and chocolate with my three daughters.  Yes, sometimes I had a date on Valentine's Day.  Sometimes I didn't.  But it was always a special day with my darling girls first.

Yesterday, after watching my kindergartener sort through his huge box of Valentines, I attempted to make a Martha Stewart Valentine craft.  It failed miserably.  The crayon shavings melted through the wax paper and sogged into the craft paper and paper towels I was using to protect the ironing board and iron.  I tried to juice the two mexican guavas I bought on a whim that were ripening on the counter.  It failed miserably.  Absolutely no juice in those things.  I tried to make coconut butter.  The coconut would climb the sides of the container and just stick there without blending.  So, in other words, it failed miserably.  Then I reached into the sink and sliced the top of my finger on a sharp blade (never put sharp things in a sink full of dishes).   After that, I spent over two hours driving kids to and fro (school pick-up, drama rehearsal, play date, soccer practice) during rush hour.  Ugh.

Good thing dinner prep was really easy.

Superman came home and grilled the pork chops he started marinating the night before (a little olive oil, some red wine, a bit of jalapeno, and spices).  I made Mango Quinoa and Paleo Chocolate Strawberries.

Wait.  Paleo Chocolate Strawberries?  Why, yes.  Yes indeed.





Coconut Mango Quinoa
2 c. quinoa
1 c. coconut milk
1 c. chicken broth
2 mangoes, peeled, pitted, diced (about 2 cups)
1/2 c. coconut flakes, toasted
1/3 c. green onions, sliced
1/4 c. sliced almonds
1 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper

Bring coconut milk and broth to a boil.  Add quinoa, cover and simmer 15 minutes on LOW.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Serve.

Paleo Chocolate Strawberries
1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 t. coconut oil
9 - 12 fresh ripe strawberries

Wash strawberries, gently dry with a paper towel, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.

Melt chocolate and coconut oil together by heating in microwave for 20 seconds at a time, stirring with a fork until melted.  (Take the chocolate out of the microwave when it is mostly melted, but several soft chunks still remain.  It will finish melting as you stir it.)

Scrape the melted chocolate into a small plastic baggie.  Snip a tiny corner off, and drizzle over the strawberries.  Place in fridge until chocolate is firm.  Serve without guilt to your chocolate-loving loved ones -- or selfishly eat them all yourself.  Totally your call.

Comments