Cauliflower Leaf Spirals


 A few months ago, I decided to try my hand at growing cauliflower.  Only one snowy head grew, and it was infested with bugs.  :(  I will do more research for better success next time.  However, all is not lost!  My neighbor was admiring my little garden, and pointing to the cauliflower leaves, asked if I was growing kale.  That's when I decided to find out if I could eat cauliflower leaves.  And the answer is, yes, I can.

My first experiment was a stir fry.  Instead of cutting the leaves from my plant, I pulled the little leafy parts from a head of cauliflower I bought at the store (the part I usually throw away).  I chopped those up and stir fried them with carrots and onions, with some herbs and fresh lemon juice.  Delicious.  Then I researched (which, of course, means I googled it).

I found a recipe for Cauliflower Leaf Spirals and decided to attempt to modify it for Paleo.  It was good, but I'm not sure I'm done tinkering with it.  I share with you my experiment:

First, I cut six healthy leaves from the cauliflower plant.
I made the paste-like filling (recipe below).


I cut the leaves in half, lengthwise, then spread the filling.


After the leaves are stacked in fours, roll tightly, and steam.

Once steamed, cool and slice into spirals.

Fry in coconut oil.


I wish I'd fried them a little longer.  The leaves become deliciously crispy as they're fried. The coconut flour makes a perfect texture for the filling, but as coconut flour tends to do, it does suck the moisture from your mouth.  I believe combining the coconut flour with mashed cauliflower or butternut might be good.

Cauliflower Leaf Spirals
6 large cauliflower leaves
1/2 c. coconut flour
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. curry powder
1/2 T. sesame seeds
1 c. water
Coconut oil for frying

Wash the leaves, then slice lengthwise, removing the center rib.  Combine the dry ingredients, then stir in water until the mixture becomes paste-like.

Spread the filling on each leaf half, then stack four of them together.  Roll tightly.  Steam for 6 minutes in the microwave.  Let cool.  Slice into spirals (I did three spirals per roll).  Fry in coconut oil until golden brown.  Makes a very lovely appetizer.

Comments