Sausage Squash Soup

Back in the pre-paleo days, I used to make a fantastic Tortellini Soup.  Tonight, I decided to adapt it for the noodle-free lifestyle.  Yellow crookneck squash made a terrific tortellini replacement!

Sausage Squash Soup
1 lb. sausage
1-2 T. minced garlic
1/2 onion, chopped
fresh rosemary, thyme, basil, chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 T. tomato paste
16 oz. chicken broth or stock
2 medium-sized crookneck squash, sliced or diced into tortellini-sized pieces
at least 4 cups spinach or chard

Cook the sausage in a large pot, crumbling it as it cooks.  Add the onion, garlic, and herbs, cooking until onions are translucent.  Stir in the tomatoes and the tomato paste.  Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Add the squash and cook until it's tender.  Stir in the spinach or chard leaves.

My chard bolted.  I'm still learning how to garden in CA.

Bowlful of little chard leaves.

Pot full of delicious spicy soup!



Comments

  1. um... why am I NOT making this RIGHT NOW? Looks so very tasty. I am for sure going to give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment