Paleo "Corn" Bread

Sometimes, when you're making Mel's Favorite Chili or a BBQ pork roast, you get a hankering for something bread-like to alternate bites with.  In the past, my daughters almost always made cornbread to go with chili (a go-to supper Actress often made when she wanted to give her mom a break).

A few nights ago, I made a pork roast.  To my delight, I had found a pretty clean BBQ sauce at Sprouts, and I wanted to give it a try.  But what about side dishes?  Yes, I could make traditional cornbread for the non-paleo eaters (chiefly, our kids -- especially our pre-teen son who can put away a LOT of food!), but I wanted to be able to eat everything at the table.  I hate feeling deprived.  So I started looking for a basic recipe I could modify.  I combined the ideas from two different recipes and came up with this one.  Our boys (one a staunch quinoa-hater!) gave this their enthusiastic seal of approval!

To make quinoa flour, toast the quinoa in the oven ahead of time (10-12 minutes at 350F), then grind in a coffee grinder.  It doesn't take very long.

Quinoa "Corn" Bread
inspired by this recipe at Power Hungry

1 3/4 c. quinoa flour
2 T. coconut flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

1 c. coconut milk
1/3 c. coconut oil, melted
1/4 c. honey
1 T. vinegar
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 350F.  Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper.  Mix dry ingredients.  Mix wet ingredients.  Combine and mix.  Pour into pan and bake 25-35 minutes, until lightly golden.


Comments