Pumpkin Curry

Helloooooooo!

I've been away so long.  Now that I'm teaching school, my time is all gobbled up.  Big things are happening here at Superman-and-Ms.Julie's house.  We've just sent Actress off to college (majoring in Theatre Education, of course), making us the parents of THREE college students.  Ballerina is getting married at the end of the year, and Valedictorian recently returned from an 18-month mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Big things.

Years ago, when I first met Superman, he introduced me to an Indian dish from a local restaurant that he LOVES.  I examined it.  I tasted it.  I tried to duplicate it -- and missed.

Last night, I finally concocted an arrangement of ingredients that proved to be a winner!  It only took four years of marriage, people.

Pumpkin Curry
1 lb. butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. chili powder
2 1/2 c. water
1/3 c. unsweetened dried coconut (but if I had fresh, I'd use about 7-8 ounces freshly grated)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 T. sunflower butter
1 T. coconut oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 VERY HOT red chili (split in half lengthwise)
1/3 c. coconut milk
salt to taste
1/2 c. cooked, diced chicken (more, if you're in the mood for it)
cooked quinoa (or steamed grated cauliflower, or rice if you prefer)
assorted chopped veggies of your choice (celery, peas, onions, bell peppers, carrots, etc.)

Combine butternut squash, curry powder, chili powder, and water in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 6-8 minutes or until tender.

Grind half the coconut in a spice mill with the cumin.  Stir in remaining coconut.  Stir into butternut mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat.

In a small, nonstick frying pan, melt the sunflower butter with the coconut oil over low heat.  Add mustard seeds and the red chili half.  Stir and cook over high heat 1-2 minutes, then pour over curry mixture.  Season with salt to taste.

I removed the pepper, because it was blazingly hot for me.  To serve, scoop some quinoa/cauliflower/rice into the bottom of a bowl, then ladle the curry mixture over it.  Stir in chopped vegetables (as many as you like!), and enjoy!

Comments