Vegetarian Pumpkin Chorizo Soup


 There's a local restaurant called Zupa's, and it's been inspiring me for several years.  I had no idea how amazing salad could be until I ate their "Nuts About Berries" salad.  And I was hooked.

Recently, I took my daughter out to dinner for her birthday.  We went to Zupa's, and they had a seasonal soup that I decided I needed to re-create.  Since my daughter is a vegetarian, I found a way to make it meat-free.

Vegetarian Pumpkin Chorizo Soup

Combine the following in a large bowl:
16 oz. firm tofu, crumbled
2 T. apple cider vinegar
2 T. chili powder
1 t. cumin
1 t. coriander
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. onion powder
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. cayenne pepper

Bake at 400, 20-25 minutes.  Stir occasionally while baking.

While the tofu is baking, sauté the following in an instant pot:
1 T. coconut oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 T. minced garlic

Add the following to the instant pot, and set to high pressure for 8 minutes (or until squash is soft):
2 lb. butternut squash, cubed
6 c. water
3 bouillon cubes
salt, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes to taste

Meanwhile, gather the following:
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c. frozen corn
1 can green chiles
5 oz. fresh tomatoes, diced
cilantro, chopped

Once the butternut is cooked, use an immersion blender to make a smooth soup base.  Stir in the cooked tofu and the vegetables.  Adjust seasonings as desired.

If you need to amp up the protein, stir cooked chicken or pork into your serving.

Comments